Tablet Talk is a top-rated Android app that lets people text and even receive phone calls on their Android tablets! By pairing an Android phone with an Android tablet such as the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire, Tablet Talk notifies you on the tablet’s screen when there’s an incoming call or SMS — and lets you respond (note: a Bluetooth headset is required for phone calls). There’s no need to fumble for your phone, or to use a different phone number.
If you are new to the app, here are some Frequently Asked Questions and troubleshooting tips. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you don’t see your question answered here.
What is Tablet Talk?
How does Tablet Talk work?
How do people typically use Tablet Talk?
We hear all kinds of stories from Tablet Talk fans! Many people like Tablet Talk because it makes texting easier — you get to use the larger keyboard on your tablet or Kindle Fire. Other people like it because they can keep their phone in their pocket or even the other room while they answer SMS messages on their tablet.
We also hear from people who can only get a carrier signal for their phone in one part of their house, which makes texting a pain. Tablet Talk allows them to leave the phone in that location, and then they can roam with the Tablet to other parts of the house while still being able to text and receive voice calls. Tablet Talk keeps them connected over Bluetooth and Wifi! (Note: Bluetooth headset required for voice calls)
Can I use Tablet Talk while my phone is charging?
What Android devices are compatible with Tablet Talk?
How can I get Tablet Talk to work on my iPhone or iPad?
Does Tablet Talk work on Windows or BlackBerry phones?
PURCHASING TABLET TALK
Are there extra fees for texting on the tablet?
Do I need to pay for Tablet Talk twice?
How do I install Tablet Talk on my phone using Play Store?
1. Open the Play Store on your phone.
2. Press the menu button and select “Accounts.” Select the account used to get the app on your tablet.
3. Press the menu button again and select “My apps.” Tablet Talk should be listed and available to install.Please email email@example.com if you are experiencing any errors or problems installing the app from the Play Store.
Help – I installed Tablet Talk on my tablet, but it doesn’t work!
The problem may be that the app hasn’t been installed on your phone. In order to work, Tablet Talk needs to be installed in two places — your Android Tablet and your Android phone. You only need to pay for the app on your tablet, and then the download to your Android phone will be free. After purchasing the app on your tablet, to install Tablet Talk on your phone, please open the Play Store on your phone and go to “My apps” where Tablet Talk will be listed and available to install.For the Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD, there are additional steps required to install the app on your phone (see FAQ answer, below)
I bought the app for the Kindle Fire. How do I install the app for free on my Android phone?
After installing Tablet Talk on your Kindle, you will need to install the app on your phone via the Amazon Appstore. You may also need to change the security settings on your phone. Here are the steps involved:
1. Open your phone’s Settings, and select Security. Make sure to check off the box next to “Unknown Sources”, which will allow the installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store.
2. Open your phone’s Web browser and go to amazon.com/app-sms to download and install the Amazon App Store APK file. You may be prompted to complete the installation — choose “Package Installer”.
3. Open Amazon Appstore and log in (using your Amazon account credentials).
4. Tap “Cloud” and then scroll down until you see the Tablet Talk icon and a “Download” button. Click it. You may be prompted to complete the installation — select the “Package Installer” option.
Open Tablet Talk on your phone to complete the setup process and connect your phone and your Kindle. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help.
Where can I find answers to setup questions?
How do I connect my Android tablet and Android phone via Bluetooth?
The easiest way is to have Tablet Talk enable Bluetooth automatically when you use the widget or open the app. See “Automatic options” in Tablet Talk’s settings.
You can also manually pair the devices, and then enable Tablet Talk to connect via the Bluetooth pairing. Here’s how:
PAIRING: You can pair your devices through Android, similar to how you pair with a headset. The exact steps may vary depending on your device model.
1. Open your device’s Bluetooth settings and turn Bluetooth on.
2. Make your device discoverable.
1. Open your device’s Bluetooth settings and turn Bluetooth on.
2. Select “Search for devices.”
3. When your first device appears, select it. Confirm the Bluetooth pairing request that popups on both devices. Now your device are paired and ready to go!
ENABLING TABLET TALK OVER BLUETOOTH
1. Phone: open Tablet Talk and press connect.
2. Tablet: open Tablet Talk and press connect. If prompted, select your phone from the list of paired devices. Select the device that matches the “BT Address” displayed on your phone. In the future, quickly link your devices with the widget, or enable any of the “Automatic options” in settings. You can have Tablet Talk automatically start when you turn on Bluetooth, when you open the app, or even when your device turns on.
How do I connect via WiFi?
Connect your phone and tablet to your WiFi network and open Tablet Talk.:
1. Activate WiFi mode using the quick toggle button or in settings.
2. Press connect.
3. Do not turn your phone’s screen off until the devices have paired. You can close the app and turn off the screen once setup is complete.
1. Activate WiFi mode using the quick menu or in settings.
2. Press connect.Tablet Talk remembers the settings for each WiFi network separately so you can switch between networks without losing your settings.In the future, quickly link your devices with the widget, or enable any of the “Automatic options” in settings. You can have Tablet Talk automatically start when you connect to this WiFi network again in the future, when you open the app, or even when your device turns on.You can also have Tablet Talk enable WiFi automatically when you use the widget or open the app. See “Automatic options” in Tablet Talk’s settings.
How do I use the Hotspot Mode?
Do I have to run setup every time I use the app?
I can send messages, but can’t receive them on my tablet. How can I fix this?
Handcent: Go to Settings->Application Settings->Default Messaging application: set to “Disable”
GO SMS Pro: Go to Settings->Other Settings->Disable other message notification: Uncheck
MIUI SMS app: Disable “System priority MMS app”
2) Next, open the default Android SMS app that came with your phone. On many phones, this app is called “Messaging”. Open the settings for this app and disable notifications to prevent duplicate notifications.
If you use an SMS app other than those listed above and are having difficulty locating the correct setting, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
I am having trouble connecting using WiFi. How can I fix this?
Sometimes the tablet cannot automatically pair with the phone on certain WiFi networks. To fix, open “Setup” in settings:
1. Change “Port” to 8080.
1. Change “Port” to 8080.
2. Press “Phone IP Address” and enter the address displayed on your phone.Now proceed as normal. If you are still experiencing any issues, feel free to contact us.
I can’t connect via Bluetooth, or Bluetooth stopped working.
Sometimes a Bluetooth pairing between two Android devices stops working correctly. If restarting devices does not work, the following known fix can be done in Android’s Bluetooth settings:
1. Phone: Unpair from your tablet. Turn Bluetooth off.
2. Tablet: Unpair from your phone. Turn Bluetooth off.
3. Pair your devices using Android’s Bluetooth settings (NOT using Tablet Talk).
4. Turn Bluetooth off and then back on, just for good measure.
Now Tablet Talk should work. To link the devices over Bluetooth, open Tablet Talk on your phone and press the red button to enable the app. Then open Tablet Talk on your tablet and press the button. After the initial setup, you can use the app’s widget, home screen shortcuts, or “Automatic settings” for quick and easy connecting in the future.
If you are still experiencing any issues at all, feel free to contact us.
Why am I receiving a Bluetooth pairing request dialog in Tablet Talk, even though my tablet and phone are are already paired?
This is a bug with some versions of Android and not Tablet Talk. A workaround was added:
In both devices, go to Settings->Setup and select BT pairing bug fix.
Sticky Notes aren’t working. What’s wrong?
Sticky Notes require newer versions of Android (3.x, 4.x, and up) so if your phone or tablet is running Android 2.x, the feature won’t work.
In addition, every user of Tablet Talk gets a free number of Sticky Notes to start with, but will have to upgrade to the Business Extension Package once the free amount is used up.
How can I use Tablet Talk for voice calls?
Why can’t I use the tablet’s speaker for phone calls?
Tablet Talk allows you to control phone calls from the tablet. However, it is not possible to use the tablet’s speakers or microphone for voice calls, owing to technical limitations of the Android platform.
The phone calling features were requested by and designed for users with Bluetooth headsets who wanted to be able to control phone calls from the tablet. You can use a headset and Tablet Talk on your phone at the same time.
Can Tablet Talk display a dialpad during a phone call?
GENERAL QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How do I get my contact names and photos to display in Tablet Talk?
How do I delete messages on Tablet Talk?
To delete a single message: Long press on it and select “Delete.”
To delete a conversation: Long press on the conversation in the inbox and select “Delete.”
To delete all messages and conversations: Long press on any inbox conversation and select “Delete all conversations.”
What are Sticky Notes, and how do they work?
Sticky Notes were introduced in version 1.9 of Tablet Talk as part of the Business Extension Package. They allow you to create text notes and associate them with a thread in Tablet Talk. They can then be opened or shared.
For example, if someone texts you an important phone number in Tablet Talk, you can copy the number to a Sticky Note and send it to another conversation, email it to someone else, or save it for later. It’s also good for calling up frequently used phrases and inserting them into a new text. Five ways to use Sticky Notes on Tablet Talk gives some more examples, and also includes a short video that shows how to use Tablet Talk.